Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Porch progress

So, here's where we stand with the porch. All the construction is done. Oh, no it's not...we have to put some trim below the outside edge of the floor and above the top step on both sets of steps. We need to do another coat of paint on the floor and steps and I need to paint some accent color on the railings and the quarter round on the columns. The colors are smoky olive and some kind of deep plum. Lovely battleship gray on the floor, of course.

The top rail was completely constructed by my dad to meet my needs. Finn can just see over the top if he gets up on his tippy toes.



Hello, gorgeous...


Finn was so thrilled with crawling all over the newly painted floor...like a whole new room for him to play in.



And, please excuse the photo faux pas in this last shot...I didn't mean to spear my baby in the head with a broom handle!

5 comments:

Cara said...

LOL, i'll let the spearing of said baby go...

but damn, the railing is AWESOME! so when you're all done, can i request a tour? seriously, that is beautiful work. and the colors... very very nice.

Amy said...

It looks fabulous!

I'm so jealous that you still have a wood porch and now you have a GORGEOUS railing! There is so much work I want to do on our house...

Annie and Greg said...

Wow, that porch looks great! I am sure it helped to put a whole facelift on your house too. Not that your house needed a face lift. Despite its age I am sure it is young and vibrant looking.

Amanda said...

Wow! So tell me, did you replace the spindle part of the railing? or where you able to just refinish the existing pieces? It really is beautiful. Great work!!!

jen said...

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone!

Annie, my house is only slightly offended by your facelift comment.

The whole railing is newly constructed. The original had been replaced with an alulminum rail before we bought the house (I think this is shown in my previous post). The cut-out slats (spindle part) were designed after the existing railing on the back porch (I'll have to get a picture of that). I made a template with the intentions of cutting them all out myself, but then my newly retired dad took my design and ran with it, which makes much more sense considering the tools and workspace that he has compared to mine. He made jigs to cut them out (32 pieces) and then Rich routed around the designs to make the beveled edge that is painted purple. Then we sanded and painted them. All of this over the course of about a year and half. The slats were the first thing done, just waiting to be turned into a beautiful railing.

Amy, your house is already beautiful and as nice as this is...I'm still in the same boat of having so much work that I'd like to do on the house. I think we're both insane wanting to restore our homes and have babies and careers and no local relatives to help out.